You know it’s funny. I never thought that I would enjoy biking riding. I mean I rode a bike as a kid…. like all kids do. You ride around your house or the parking lot of the local high school. Then you become a teenager and you put the bike in the back of the garage and beg for the car keys… Since last summer… I have found a new appreciation for my bike and the ride! There are days when I am stressed out at work and all I can think about is how nice would a bike ride would be. So I race home to get the bike in the car and I’m off. I go to a local park about 20 mins from my house. Then I strap on my helmet put in the ear buds blast the music and ride!
We are quiet lucky to live near awesome bike paths. I am no expert road biker or fantastic mountain biker. I just a comfort hybrid biker who loves going fast!
Some recent places we have been to bike are North County Trail in TarryTown, NY Dutchess Rail Trail, Hopewell Junction, NY Duck Pond, Ridgewood.
However as I learned today when biking one must deal with some obstacles, today’s were rain, a flat tire (my first ever) and not being near any store!, nasty mosquito bites…. I learned how to change my tire today but now I need to get my own set of tools but I secretly hope I get a flat when my hubby is with me!
Here are some pictures of our adventures.
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2013 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
A San Francisco cable car holds 60 people. This blog was viewed about 630 times in 2013. If it were a cable car, it would take about 11 trips to carry that many people.
Click here to see the complete report.
Después casi tres años estábamos con amigos de España en mi ultima noche en España y Zaragoza (porque estaba mudándome me a los EEUU). Mis amigos me pidieron que educara a los Americanos sobre los españoles y sus mitos
Finally after three years, on my last night with my spanish friends (I was moving back to the US), they begged that I educate the Americans about Spain and Spaniards.
Así que… Esto es para mis amigos de ESPAÑA!
- España está en EuROPA/Spain is in EuROPE
- No todos somos gitanos (medio arrugados con ojos oscuros)/ We are not all gypsies (half wrinkles with dark eyes)
- Hay rubios y gente con ojos claros/Yes we have blonds with light eyes
- En España nieva/It snows in Spain
- En España no estamos siempre de fiesta, trabajamos y mucho/In Spain it’s not always a festival, or holiday we do work alot and we work hard
- No vamos vestidos de toreos y trajes de flamenco , ni vamos detrás de los toros/We are not always dressed in Flamenco costumes and we do not run with the bull all the time
- No bebemos por la mañana/We do not drink in the morning
- No estamos en México/We are not in Mexico
- No somos como Zapatero ni como sus hijas , somos normales/We are nothing like Zapatero, or his gothic daughters. We are normal!
- No todos tocamos la guitarra , ni las castañas por la calle/We all do not play the guitar or use castanets in the streets
- Vivimos con agua corriente, electricidad/We live with running water and electricty
- La policía es respetable/The Police are honorable
- No dormimos siesta todos los días/We do not nap everday
- El idioma oficial es el castellano/The official language in Spain is Castillian Spanish
- Lo de las películas de Almodovar es mentira, no todos somos gays, lesbianas y putas/The movies from director Almodovar are lies, we are not all gays, lesbians and prostates like in his films
- Los españoles somos geniales/Spaniards are fabulous people!
- Las Fiestas Nacionales Españolas : The Official Spanish Holidays are
- Solo sucede en Andulucia que es tan desde de febrero a julio de fiesta/Only in the south Andulisa are partying from February to July
- Pampolona –San Fermin-/Pampolona -Saint Fermin -The Running of the Bulls
- Valencia – Fallas/Valencia- The fireworks
- Zaragoza – El Pilar/Zaragoza- The Virgen Pilar
- Resto España-Semana Santa y en Andalucía mucha más/Rest of Spain and even more in Andalucía- Easter or Holy Week
- Semana Santa: adoramos vírgenes, no las quemamos/Easter: we worship Virgins (the image of the Virgin Mary), we don´t burn them
¡Espero que hayáis disfrutado este momento educativo, hecho posible gracias a orgullosos zaragozanos! ¡Nacidos , criados y todavía viviendo en España!
We hope that you have enjoyed this educational moment brought to you by proud Zaragozans!! who were born and raised and still live in Spain!
Alright so you’re probably thinking what on earth is she talking about. We are all polite when we use the restroom…. Well yes, the general population is… However I did have an interesting experience this past weekend. I was in the Cheesecake Factory in Wayne, NJ. I went to the restroom. I stepped inside and politely asked the woman waiting in front of the stalls if she was waiting. She replied “yes” nothing else….. However the first stall was open… so I politely asked again “are you waiting?” her response was “yes i am waiting for my daughter”. Well clearly I didn’t ask the right question…”are you waiting for a open stall” or ” I am sorry are you waiting for someone or for a stall?? Who asks such a question these days? Seriously?? Well when I left I had an even more excited encounter. I went to the sink to wash my hands. However it was a bit difficult, you see there were two teens who decied that since they got so dressed up for the occuasion that they need to take a self portrait pics with their iphones in front of the sink and mirror. Nevermind the folks who would like to practice good hygiene….. No the kissy phones, and posing was much more important… Who cares if there is someone who wants to wash their hands…..
It’s a bit funny sometimes how our hobbies and interest change after time.. So my recent past time/hobby/exercise kick has been biking. I bought a bike back in 2011 in PA, Lancaster actually which is funny. In Amish country I bought a bike. They don’t actually use bikes there to be honest… Anyways getting back to biking….. I have been biking more than last summer at least I think so. Its so strange that I have this craving to go biking… Sometimes I find myself thinking okay if i pack the bike into the car and bring my biking clothing, I can go straight from work. I have indeed done this at least once or twice now. Last week I rode for 6 miles I think non stop… I was really proud of myself for doing that. I remember last year I would take more breaks but this year I find that I take less. Angel says I have more stamina for it that last year. Funny thing is last year I weighed at least 15 lbs less! Haha! Anyways biking is not a relaxing sport when you think about it… In order to move the bike you must be the one moving the pedals… I am not a real walking fan or runner by any means so I am happy that I can bike…. It’s also interesting to me when I add music I seem even more motivated to move my legs. I am very lucky to have a great husband who lets me ride in front and set the pace… I think it’s a secretive ploy to make me go faster because I find that I do ! Anyway, I am by no means at the level of my husband… I am need the flat, paved path! Well it’s not too bad on my last ride I averaged 9.0 miles per hour..that at least 1 mph faster than about 3 weeks ago! Well I don’t have a bike gadget yet to track my speed I do have a app! It’s called Strava, it’s kinda cool for being a free one. It tells you speed and distance and elevation. You can also save your trip and see how you rank against others. So after my 13 mile ride I check the app and I came in 9 out of 10… Not bad for a casual bike rider haha! For the segment I did it in 38.42 mins at 9.3 mph. The number one was 14.9 mph in 23.59 mins. So that me even prouder!
We have been to a number of places for biking….
1. Duck Pond in Ridgewood, NJ
2. Rockland Lake, Congers NY
3. Memorial Lake, Congers NY
4. Walk over the Hudson Bridge Poughkeepise, NY
5. Highlands Rail Trail, Highlands, NY
6. Wallkill Rail Trail, Wallkill, NY
7. Dutchess County Rail Trail, Newburgh NY
I also can’t forget my favorite accessories!! I highly recommend a bell for your bike, a backpack for water (it’s so much easier drinking that way!) and a cargo net and a platform on the back for your bike so you can carry stuff!!!
Hope you enjoyed my adventures in biking…. Here are some pics of our adventures!